This was the week of the strongman comp, so a bit of a mixed bag type of training week.
- High KB Windmill with extended ROM: 3 x 6 @ 12kg, 16kg, 20kg
- Clean: 5 @ 30, 35, 40kg, 3 @ 42.5, 45kg
- Axle power clean & jerk: 3 @ 20, 30, 35kg, 2 @ 40kg (failed 3rd rep)
- Renegade row: 3 x 8 @ 35lb
Tuesday – Got lazy
- 15 min walk (not counted towards total)
Thursday – Strongman comp
- Bench (testing new spotting arms): 12 @ 45, 42.5, 40kg
- Squat: 3 x 12 @ 50kg
- 2 x 5 with 90seconds recovery:
- Sprint (20m?) – slight downhill
- Broad jump back – seemed like massive uphill!
- 3 x 12 Pallof press
- 3 x 12 Deadlift @ 60kg (touch n go)
- 8, 6, 4, 2 reps of Clean, squat, press @ 30kg with 30 seconds rest in between. Tougher weight wise than cardio mmm shouldn’t’ve been though.
Sunday – Rest
Total training: ~ 2 hrs 45 mins
Nutrition: OK for 1/2 the week, crap after that.
The strongman comp made me realise how crap my cardio fitness is. So as soon as I was done with that, I wrote up my new powerlifting program until my next powerlifting comp in August. At the moment it’s quite light so only 2 days per week! Yay! This means I should not be too wiped out to add in a minimum of 2 conditioning sessions per week, plus as a bonus, some fun stuff (ie conquering hills at Mt D).
I got spotting arms for my squat rack, so I can safely bench at home now. I love them soooo much! I was trying to work out what height to set them up at. At first I thought I’d need them pretty low, so I tested them out, and my back arch has improved quite a bit, so I had to raise the spotting arms a bit. Then I tested again, had to raise again! Rinse, repeat etc…. And I’ve now got them so high that my head would be completely clear of any accident if I drop the bar. The only thing that would be affected would be my ribs while in a high arch. They should be fine if I’ve flattened out a bit. I took a video to have a look:
May have to lower the J cups for the bar soon as I had trouble re-racking at the end. This is good because then the bar will have even less distance to travel! 😀
Anyways, back to solid training already this week. Loving my new program. It’s very manageable. Just need to get some desire to do my cardio/conditioning.