This week was kind of an off week. A week of body building style training (designed to build muscle, but also assist my main lifts), with complete junk food, after my previous powerlifting comp and before I start serious powerlifting training again next week. I also plan to switch to sumo deadlifts since my SI joint has been unhappy since the last comp, so this week was kind of testing that out.
Monday – Nothing 🙂
- 2 x Mobility-plex
- High Windmills: 5 @ 12, 16, 20kg
- Sumo Deadlift: 4 x 8 @ 75kg (wow, so easy! Let’s see if it will still feel easy next week with some real weight)
- DB Romanian deadlift: 10 @ 35, 45, 50, 55, 55lb
- Forward lean lunge: 4 @ 10 @ 30lb
- Fun: 3 x 20 High lateral step ups and 30 Squat jumps! 😮
- PM: 10 min walk (not counted towards total)
- 10 mins mobility
- DB Bench: 4 x 8 @ 18.5kg
- KB OA Eccentric shoulder press: 4 x 8 @ 12kg
- DB Lateral raise: 4 x 15 @ 4kg
- 2 sets:
- Mobility plex
- 10 kneeling ring roll out
- OA Row: 10 @ 35lb, 10 @ 45lb, 4 x 10 @ 55lb
- Lat pull down: 10 @ 80, 3 x 8 @ 100 (arms and lats fatigued from rows!)
- Straight arm lat pull down: 10 @ 40, 3 x 10 @ 60
Friday – 2 x 15min walk – not counted towards total
Saturday – Rest
Sunday – 9km barefoot/thongs trail run
Total training: 4 hours
Nutrition: Crap. Back into regular nutrition next week with regular training.
It was fun training like a meathead for a week. I really enjoyed these training sessions. Although my muscles have been sore every day since Tuesday!
Today I wrote up my new powerlifting program for prep to compete in nationals. I am switching to sumo deadlift to see if my back is happier. And reducing the volume on deadlifts, but keeping the rest the same.
On paper it all looks great – 3 days lifting, with a bonus 4th day of fun if I can be bothered. I’ve even planned it so there are no super mammoth sessions. The only problem with this format is… tomorrow is squat day… and I’m back to being completely terrified of my training.